Vance County Schools Educator Nominated for National LifeChanger of the Year Award
January 18, 2023 – Henderson, NC – Vance County High School freshman principal McShell Edmonds has been nominated for the 2022-23 National LifeChanger of the Year award. Sponsored by the National Life Group Foundation, LifeChanger of the Year recognizes and rewards the best K-12 educators and school district employees across the United States who are making a difference in students' lives by exemplifying excellence, positive influence and leadership.
Edmonds was nominated by an anonymous colleague who has had the pleasure of working with her for over nine years.
Edmonds is a caring leader who is protective of staff and students; she is the perfect balance of firmness and compassion. Although a strong disciplinarian, students and staff know that she disciplines from the heart and has a real love for children and the teaching profession. Edmonds listens to students and always does what is best for them.
She is one of the first people in the school building in the mornings and one of the last to leave in the evenings. Students often reach out to her past school hours and on weekends about school issues because they know she is always available for them. She even stepped out of a wedding on a Saturday to speak with a student who had contacted her. Her dedication is unmatched! As a true educator, she believes in equity and is the first to ensure that teachers have everything they need to function effectively in their jobs. She is an advocate for teachers and students alike.
“Every child deserves a true LifeChanger, someone who will stay the course when the going gets tough, someone they can depend on, a constant in a world of change. Every school needs its own Ms. Edmonds,” said the colleague.
About LifeChanger of the Year
Each school year, LifeChanger of the Year receives hundreds of nominations from all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Eighteen individual LifeChanger of the Year awards will be given during the 2022-2023 school year.
- (1) Grand Prize Winner – will receive $10,000 to be shared with their school/district.
- (4) Grand Prize Finalists – will receive $5,000 to be shared with their school/district.
- (10) LifeChanger Award Winners – will receive $3,000 to be shared with their school/district.
- (1) Spirit Award Winner – This award is given to the nominee whose community demonstrates the most support for their nomination. The winner will receive $5,000 to be shared with their school/district.
- (1) Capstone Award Winner - This award is given to a nominee retiring at the end of the 2021-22 school year. The winner will receive $3,000 to be shared with their school or district.
- (1) Spotlight Award Winner – This award is given to a nominee in a specific discipline each year. The winner will receive $5,000 to be shared with their school or district.
Winners are chosen by a selection committee comprised of former winners and education professionals, and will be announced in early 2022. Nominees must be K-12 teachers or school district employees. To be considered for an award, nominees must
- Make a positive impact in the lives of students
Enhance their school or district’s atmosphere, culture and pride
Demonstrate exemplary leadership at the school and/or district level
Possess a proven record of professional excellence
Show commitment to building a nurturing environment that supports learning
Adhere to the highest moral and ethical standards
A resource page with ideas for how to celebrate nominees can be found at http://lifechangeroftheyear.
To view McShell Edmond’s LifeChanger of the Year nominee profile, or to nominate someone from your school community, visit www.LifeChangeroftheYear.com.