Arts Alive 2019 Rocks McGregor Hall in Henderson
The Vance County High Chorus performs at Arts Alive.
Student artwork was on display at Arts Alive.
The talents of approximately 75 performers, all students in Vance County Schools, rocked the McGregor Hall Performing Arts Center on Saturday, April 27, during the third annual Arts Alive talent showcase.
The student performers were featured in the two-hour show which began at 7 p.m. in the auditorium at McGregor Hall. A total of 20 performing acts made up the show with students singing, dancing, doing dramatic readings and playing musical instruments.
Prior to the evening show, over 200 pieces of students' visual artwork was on display in McGregor Gallery for community members to view. Parents, grandparents, other family members, friends, school system employees and officials and local residents came out to view the artwork for about four hours before the show began.
An audience of about 625 people saw the show that night, with an estimated 200 additional people coming out to see the artwork on display.
In the morning of April 27, students from our elementary, middle and high schools participated in master classes led by representatives of Hill's Music Shoppe in Henderson, Ballet Arts in Henderson and Wolf Trap Education from Washington, D.C.
Arts Alive is co-sponsored each year by Vance County Schools and the Vance County Public School Foundation.
This year, the event attracted 42 sponsoring businesses, organizations and individuals who donated money to support Arts Alive. The proceeds from these sponsorships, along with proceeds from the sales of tickets to the Arts Alive show (at $5 per ticket), are used by the Vance County Public School Foundation to support academic and arts opportunities for students in Vance County Schools.
The master of ceremonies for the Arts Alive show was Andrew Markoch, director of Arts Programs in Vance County Schools.
Performers in the show included:
- Vance County High School Guitar Club performing "Perfect" by Ed Shearin
- Faith Orr performing "Stay" by Rihanna
- Travis Seward performing an improvisational drum solo
- Gavin Darrow performing "The Final Straw" by CG5
- Brendan Juengling performing "Sticks and Stones" from "To This Day" by Shane Koyczan
- Aycock Hispanic Dance Team performing "Rock Around the Clock" by Bill Haley
- Miracle Chin performing "The Definition of Beauty" by aaronj64
- My Brother's Keeper performing "Throwback R&B Love Songs" by various artists
- Ja'Shaun Charity performing "Simple Gifts" by Joseph Brackett/Rollo Dilworth
- Haven't You Heard performing "In My City" an original song
- Jordan Knott performing "Another Part of Me" by Michael Jackson
- Jonah Hargrove and Logan Farmer performing "Obstacles" by Syd Matters
- AJ Double Take performing "Mixed CD" by AJ Double Take
- Anterrahn Harris performing "Arise" by The Seige
- Rhythmically Speaking performing "Basketball Remix" by various artists
- VC Tones performing "We're All in This Together" from "High School Musical"
- Jonah Hargrove performing "My Life With You" by Jonah Hargrove
- Jose Gonzalez and Jordan Lewis performing "Nippontradamus - Extended Remix" an orginal song
- Brianna Everett performing "No Brainer" by DJ Khaled (Kidz Bop version)
- Vance County High School Chorus performing "We are the World"