Student Spotlight Banquet Celebrates Impactful Youths
An audience of about 160 family, friends, educators, school administrators and community leaders gathered at the Henderson Country Club during the evening of May 22, to honor the 16 students who attend Vance County Schools and have earned the Student Spotlight award for the 2018-2019 school year.
The Student Spotlight award program for the past two school years has recognized the outstanding achievements of students in each of our schools who exemplify good character, compassion and caring for others and a strong commitment to their educational opportunities. Each of the award winners is nominated for the recognition by their fellow students, teachers, school support staff or school administrators.
The award program is a partnership between Vance County Schools and The Daily Dispatch in Henderson. Corporate sponsors for the program include the Vance County Public School Foundation, Maria Parham Health, Mako Medical Laboratories, Prim Development and Residential Rentals and the Henderson Kiwanis Club.
Nancy Wykle, publisher of The Daily Dispatch, led the Student Spotlight celebration which included a very nice buffet meal for everyone in attendance. Wykle noted the success of the program and how officials in other school districts and counties across the state want to learn more about our recognition program and have an interest in using it as a model for their own programs. She also praised each of the Vance County Schools honored throughout this school year with the award because of their outstanding character and willingness to support and work with others.
Those students honored as Student Spotlight award winners include:
- Kori Barlow-Robinson, a fifth grader at E.O. Young, Jr. Elementary School
- Anderson Boyd, a fifth grader at Aycock Elementary School
- Roland Chavez Galindo, a fourth grader at Carver Elementary School
- Andrew Chiem, a fourth grader at Dabney Elementary School
- Kimberly Flores Maus, a fifth grader at Pinkston Street Elementary School
- Toussaint Grant, a fifth grader at L.B. Yancey Elementary School
- Jordan Hargrove, an eighth grader at Youth Empowerment Academy
- Marisol Hernandez, a third grader at E.M. Rollins Elementary School
- Chloe Hightower, a fourth grader at Clarke Elementary School
- Randy Palacios, a junior at AdVance Academy
- Courtney Peoples, a fifth grader at Zeb Vance Elementary School
- Nashanti Richardson, a Super Senior at Vance County Early College High School
- Harold Timberlake, IV, a sixth grader at Vance County Middle School
- Xavier Wilson, a senior at Vance County High School
- Kayce Yancey, a first grader at New Hope Elementary School
- Ruby Zuniga Trejo, an eighth grader at STEM Early High School